Monday, February 2, 2009

Hello! Our group has spent the last two weeks in Wellington studying at Victoria University. Our classes are in intensive chunks, so we just wrapped up our biogeography/NZ flora and fauna class. We discussed the tectonic movement of New Zealand and how that affects what plants and animals are or are not here. We were in class and lab for about six hours a day and took two field trips, one to Kaitoki Forest Reserve, and one to Matiu-Somes Island. Here we worked on identifying native flora and got to see wetas (which are like giant crickets), geckos, and NZ parrots called kakariki. We worked hard, but fortunately we had our evenings open so we have plenty of time to enjoy the city, play ultimate frisbee, climb trees, and go to the beach and concerts in the Botanical Gardens. Anyway, we are now starting our Conservation Biology and Cultural Heritage classes. And, in the interest of culture, I thought I'd give you all an amusing insight into New Zealand slang. Hope you enjoy!

sweet-as=cool, awesome
good on ya=good for you, ok, sure, right on, cool
bush=forest, outback
puffed=out of breath
torch=flashlight
rattle your dags!=a country expression for hurry up, originating from the dreadlocks (dags) that develop in sheeps' wool. We picked that one up on the sheep farm.
scroggin=trail mix
tramping=hiking
full on=intense
boot=trunk of car

So conceivably, you could have a converstation that goes something like this:
"Hey I put the scroggin and torch in the boot for when we go tramping in the bush tomorrow." "Oh, good on ya man, it's gonna be sweet-as, but we better rattle our dags in the morning cause it's gonna be full on."
"Oh yeah, we're gonna be puffed!"
--And that would still be English. :)

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

danielle! this is awesome :) haha
I didnt realize you guys were keeping a blog.
anyways, where are you heading for your fall break?
I'm in Nelson at the moment and going to be heading up to Abel Tasman soon then down to Punakaiki I think.
my email is comalley@lclark.edu

have fun! cheers mate!